I have been invited by the Manly / Peninsula Division of the Fellowship of Australian Writers to speak on the topic of ‘Write what you’re passionate about’ at Warringah Library at 2pm, Saturday 9 April. This talk will inspire anyone who has a passion to tell a story or, if you simply enjoy a good thriller, then come along and hear how thrillers are written and ask questions. Even get L.A. Larkin to sign a copy of her current novel, The Genesis Flaw.
She’ll be talking about:
- What inspires her to write and how she translates this into a gripping yarn
- How to turn research into exciting action scenes. For The Genesis Flaw, L.A. Larkin consulted with world-renowned geneticists, drew on her time in Zimbabwe and worked closely with a hacker, even attending a hackers’ conference
- How passion for a topic can also be your novel’s greatest flaw and how to avoid this
- The rocky road to publishing – her own experiences of the do’s and don’ts – and why you need to be passionate to keep going, regardless of rejection
- There will be a small workshop component (5 minutes) which people don’t have to participate in, and they can simply enjoy hearing the results of those who do.